Shingle roofs are a great choice if you’re looking for something cost efficient, a quick installation, and strong protection. Shingle roofs might not look heavy-duty, but they are definitely mighty. Shingles are one of the most commonly used roofing systems in the county because of its low material and labor costs.
Advantages of Shingles
- Affordability - Shingles are the most affordable roofing materials systems available. They can last (in prime conditions) up to 20 years. In Florida, the average lifespan of shingle roofs is 10 - 15 years.
- Safety - We prefer to install Owens Corning Shingles as they are Class A Fire Rated and protect your home in 130 mph winds, all while offering a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- Energy Star Rated - OC’s shingles are Energy Star rated to help make your home more energy efficient.
- Algae Resistance - A huge problem with shingles and tile is that they are porous and absorb water. Not with OC shingles - they blend copper lined granules with their colorful granules to help resist algae growth.
- Versatility - Shingles can be installed on almost any type of roof as they do not need special weight guidelines.
Disadvantages of Shingles
- Lifespan - Depending on the brand, style, maintenance plan, and geographic location, an asphalt shingle roof may only last between 10 - 20 years. Making this type of roof a cost efficient option in the short term, but not in the long run.
- Easily susceptible to damage - Asphalt shingles are very vulnerable to damage from strong winds uplifting, loosening them, or even ripping them off your roof. This might require repairs over the years to assure your roof is water tight.
- Maintenance - Shingles still need a good maintenance plan to assure they’re not growing mildew and moss. If your home is in a shady plot underneath trees there is high likelihood you’ll develop mold.