South Florida is a tropical, warm, and sunny place, perfect for vacations, tanning, and instagram reels, but your roof is taking the brunt of it! Between the heavy rainfall and intense sun, your roof is destined to fail. If your existing roof is overwhelming, costly, and time consuming, consider a metal roof!
1. Longevity - Metal (aluminum and steel) roofs are destined to last up to 50 years, with manufacturer warranties to support the lifetime of your roof. Copper can last up to 100 years. This is double or even triple than most traditional roofing material warranties. In Fort Myers, Naples, Estero, and Bonita Springs, you can see homes with roofs over 70 years old with their original Metal roof. In contrast, most shingle and tile roofs are expected to last between 10 - 25 years.
2. Durability - A huge reason metal roofs are considered superior, especially in Florida, is their ability to withstand 140 mph or more. In Florida, this is rather important due to our powerful hurricanes, tropical storms, and common inclement weather. Metal roofing can withstand strong gusts of winds since they consist of large interlocking panels. Debris or falling tree branches can also damage your roof, but in the case of metal, the most damage might be a dent or damaged panel further protecting your home from the risk of water intrusion. Thanks to Steel, Aluminum, and copper’s strength and durability, you can confidently trust it to protect your home from the abuse of the elements, including hurricanes.
3. Sustainability - Metal roofing is a Green Roof which means it is not only great for your home, it is great for the environment. Metal roofs are made of roughly 25% recycled metal and at the end of it’s life is 100% recyclable. Furthermore, you can install a metal roof over an existing shingle roof without doing a tear off. This not only saves some money, but reduces shingle waste significantly. Metal roofing can also help save the environment (and your wallet) by reflecting heat and not retaining heat for long periods of time. Further reducing the heat transfer into your home which allows your A/C to work a little less to keep your home and attic cool. Saving you approximately 40% on annual cooling costs.
4. Peace of Mind - With unique protection against the elements facing South Florida, you can sleep soundly knowing your roof has you covered. Metal roofs are virtually maintenance free, we recommend once every 7-10 years, and have a very low risk of leaking making this roof a stress-free system.
5. Beauty - Long gone are the days where metal roofs were limited to the ‘Beach Shack’ look. Now, metal roofs are available in a wide variety of styles, types, and colors. From the profiles of metal panels that look like Spanish Tile, Shakes, or shingles, to the modern and striking Standing Seam roof. We no longer have to sacrifice beauty over strength, with metal roofing you can have both!
As with any roof, the material is only as good as the installation. Here at International Roofing, we specialize in Metal Roofing in Fort Myers, Naples, Bonita Springs, and Estero. Our team has installed over 10,000 squares of metal roofs in Florida and we continue to perfect our techniques.
This is the author